Catlin Elementary School was opened in the fall of the 1966-67 school
year and was dedicated May 7, 1967. It was named after George Catlin.
Catlin was an artist who created an Indian gallery by traveling to the
Western frontier in the 1820's and 1830's. His portraits and paintings
are thought to be among the most accurate in that period of history.
His impact on recorded history of the settling of the West is
incorporated in history lessons throughout the grade levels and
particularly in the fourth grade study of history in Nebraska.